Saturday, October 20, 2007

You've Lost That Loving Feeling

Why Are Edmonton Sports Fans Afraid to Cheer?


While I was watching Rangers FC give Celtic FC a sound 3-0 drubbing this morning in the year's first Old Firm derby game, I was wondering why sports fans in my city, and in my country really, are not so passionate about the games they are watching. Often times watching hockey in Rexall Place is like being at a funeral. I've seen people frown at goals and sit there with their arms crossed. At Commonwealth, they've resorted to pumping up the crowd with pathetic announcements like "Let's make some noise!!!". The crowd gets the same treatment at Rexall with messages on the scoreboard encouraging them to wake up. Awful.

This morning's Old Firm game at Ibrox was deafening from the beginning right through to the end. Chanting, singing, and cheering are considered the responsibility of the supporter; a help to the on field squad. A silent crowd is considered a disgrace. The result would be the same if the game had been held at Celtic Park. The supporters of these teams, and of many football teams in Europe, take their "responsibility" seriously. Many travel at great expense for away games. Good for them.

In Edmonton, people seem to only turn on for playoff games. And even then, football playoff games (back when we had those) have had a regular season kind of atmosphere.

It's a shame that fans in Edmonton, and in Canada, don't do more to make the games they attend more of an event. But it's in our nature to be reserved I guess. There's always the playoffs I guess...if the Oilers ever get back there. Until then, I'll have to content myself with victorious performances from Rangers FC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home