Friday, September 07, 2007

The Hype Machine

The NFL Sets a New Standard for Fluff

Like many football fans, I eagerly awaited the kickoff of the first NFL game of the year on Thursday evening. But with the NFL, you don't just get the game. You get the pre-game, the game, the post game and all the hoopla. Thursday set the record for fluff, and I for one am experiencing hype fatigue.

Instead of a big pre-game show that previewed the league, it's teams and player movement and development, we got a massive Super Bowl type extravaganva live from Indianapolis. Complete with John Mellencamp, Faith Hill and Kelly Clarkson, who looks like her wealth affords her a talented cook. But I digress...

My question is this: what in the world does this have to do with the game? Do we need all of this fluff and hype? Can't the product speak for itself? Judging by the result of the actual game (yes, there was a game in between the rock concerts) between the Colts and the Saints, one might question that. Mind you, not every game is a 30 point rout. In the NFL you might get lucky if 30 points get scored at all.

Of course, one might not be able to tell in between the screaming sounds of advertising howitzers raining down hot shells of hype, exploding into great fireballs of fluff among the NFL faithful.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like NFL football. I don't find it boring, like many Canadians do. I don't wear a distain for American football like a badge of honour confirming my patriotism, as many of my countrymen do. But in the final analysis it's a football game! And just the first football game of the year. It's not the final, championship game where a celebration of excellence may be warranted. No team has proven anything yet. There's no need to celebrate like the skies opened and poured down cures for all the world's worst diseases.

I, for one, am glad that the NFL season is underway....at least when the games are finally being played.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home